professionals working in User Experience consulting.
I feel if we can not measure the user experience then there is no concrete manner to specify which product/application is better than the other,how can we improve it etc.Let us try to scope user experience.
Different types of User Experience
- + ve : This will make you feel good and suggest your mind it was a pleasant thing to do.
- - ve : This will make you uncomfortable and lost
- cognitive/memorable : You would like to store in memory even will take pictures of the moment to recall it better. Visit to a tourist place,parks etc.
- ordinary: Does not makes much significance to you in the long run. i.e. waking on the road to get to the shop next turn.
Experience dimensions coordinates
The above diagram shows different coordinates of user experience, a majority of experiences can be covered by the above diagram.
entertainment (concert, theater, movie)
o absorb it
o it’s passive – you watch it
education (this talk)
o absorb it
o active – you’re involved, too
escapism (wilderness trek, gaming)
o immersed in it (physically or virtually part of the experience –
o Active – you’re doing something
aestheticism (at the Grand Canyon)
o Immersed – immersed in the beauty of it
o Passive – you have little effect on the experience – you can’t
change the Grand Canyon, but it can change you.
Some measures to create +ve user experience
- Question the Experience Quo: Ask yourself what type of experience you want your users to leave the application.What will make the user say "What a good application".Figure out how you can turn the negative or ordinary experiences into +ve experiences.
- Cut down extra steps: Remove extra steps that you feel is not task oriented in the interaction flow design phase.Avoid unexpected,irrelevant information that will be displayed as messages when the user is submerged in completing the task.Try to save the personal information of the user & auto populate if possible.
- RIA(Rich Internet applications): Use Rich Internet apps like auto suggest,data drop down components in the form elements.Use only one active area concept by making the behind window inactive etc.There are many more RIA components that will enhance the user experience.
- Focus on Hot spots: There will be some actions/steps the user will be interested to perform, focus on it & improve the step,remove unwanted actions etc.This will lead to a heightened use experience in the long run.
- Design upturn: Find the things which has not changed in Long years & improve it in one way or other to create a lasting cognitive impact on the users mind.For example you can have a intuitive shopping cart, new navigation menus etc.
- Understand the user MINDSET: This one step will make the user experience great.If we have a physiological understanding of the user's mind set while interacting with the product then it will give us a great edge in the whole process.We can craft great apps/products with ease as we will understand the user better & their needs.
- The 5 second law of attraction: Try to grab the user attention in the first 5 seconds.Give him a feel that the task wont take much time & it is easy to perform with minimal information inputs.
- Picture the Road Map upfront: Let the user know what lies ahead as they click on the next button.Upfront showing at the number of steps it will take to complete the task, the current step being performed will really give a positive user experience.
In this way User Experience can be evaluated & enhanced further.